A Wrinkle In Time
A Wrinkle In Time is a young adult adventure book by Madeleine L'Engle published in 1962, and the first book in A Wrinkle In Time series. The plot centers on an outcast schoolgirl Meg Murry who is depressed about her father's disappearance. She and her unusual family is visited by an even more unusual trio of seemingly supernatural women who desire to help her recover her lost father.
My first encounter with this book was from episode 10 of Storybound where Jim Robbins drew illustrations of exciting parts of the book while reading them. After seeing this, my brother read the book, told me it was good, and I eventually read it myself.
There is an audio book read by the author which is always nice because you get to hear the proper pronunciation of all the names and where emphasis on certain words was intended, but L'Engle has a bit of a lisp which is distracting.
There was a movie made of the book and it's pretty good as well, and very faithful to the book. Plus it has the talented and cute Katie Stuart playing Meg. Another version is in the works right now.
The book has also been adapted to stage, and I have seen it live at the Flint Youth Theatre.
I own a paperback copy of this book, and have read it several times. I've also listened to an audio book recording and seen it performed live.
- I've read this book several times because it's a wonderful heart-warming read. Girl rescues family, boy and girl become close, and outcasts realize they're not so different after all. It displays growth and triumph over evil and adversity.
- There is a fair amount of science involved, and though it's only glossed over, it's fun to read about it.
- All the characters, even the evil ones, are really interesting and human.
- I like the fact that there are so many strong female characters.
- There are a few dull parts near the end, but nothing too much.
- Some of the science drifts into woo-woo territory, but the author doesn't ruin the book with it.
- There is a bit too much spirituality in it, and while it's pretty centered around Christianity, it isn't too forceful.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Wrinkle_in_Time - Wikipedia.
- goodreads.com/book/show/33574273-a-wrinkle-in-time - GoodReads.