13 Things That Don't Make Sense
13 Things That Don't Make Sense is a book about 13 ideas in science that don't fit with our current theories. It was written by Michael Brooks and published in 2008. The author plays devil's advocate for unpopular theories while exposes the flaws in the popular ones.
I do not own this book, but I have listened to it on audio book.
- The book is mostly entertaining and enlightening.
- The chapter on cold fusion seems suspiciously optimistic.
- The placebo chapter seems out of date considering recent evidence.
- The author is very sympathetic to homeopathy. He doesn't out-right promote it, but he isn't very critical of something that violates science so readily. Since I know of a lot of evidence against it, it makes his evidence in favor seem cherry-picked.
- The chapters about actual scientific mysteries were nice, but since he defends several poor theories with flimsy evidence, it makes me wonder if those are equally poorly-researched.